Taking care of your candles is simple and effective. Try out these 5 tips to achieve the fullest potential from your candle.
- 1. Trim your wick.
Before every light, make sure your wick is trimmed to 1/4" by using a pair of scissors or designated wick trimmer. This will allow for a longer burn time of your candle and will also provide you with a safer and cleaner burn.
- 2. Let your candle burn... for the right amount of time.
Always allow the pool of melted wax to reach the edges of the container before extinguishing the flame -- this tip is most important on the first burn. This will prevent tunneling and leaving unmelted wax on the sides of the jar. Never leave your candle unattended or burn a candle for longer than the allotted burn time. You can find how long you should burn your candle by checking the warning label on the bottom of the candle or box the candle came in.
- 3. Recognize when it is time to blow out your candle.
Discontinue burning your candle when 1/4"-1/2" of wax remains. Continuing to burn your candle with insufficient wax can overheat the jar.
- 4. Reduce, re-use, recycle.
After you're finished burning your candle, you can clean out and re-use your jar. There are a few different methods for extracting the remaining wax from your candle vessel:
- Oven Technique: Set your over to its lowest setting and place your candle inside. Keep a consistent eye on your candle and remove it from the oven right when the entirety of the wax has been melted. Using caution when handling the warm glass, dispose of the melted wax into the garbage and remove the wick tab and glue from the bottom of the jar using a spoon or fork. Simply clean out the sides of the vessel with a wash with soap and water. Wipe dry and you have yourself a newly cleaned container.
Freezer Technique: Place your candle into the freezer and wait for the wax to harden. Remove it from the freezer and carefully chip away at the wax. It should break apart rather easily and dislodge from the sides of the jar. Dispose of the melted wax into the garbage and remove the wick tab and glue from the bottom of the jar using a spoon or fork. Simply clean out the sides of the vessel with a wash with soap and water. Wipe dry and you have yourself a newly cleaned container.
After it has been thoroughly cleaned out, here are just a few options of how you can repurpose your candle jar:
- Drink out of them! Our clear glass vessels are drink and food safe.
- Use them as a planter for your favorite succulents.
- Use them to store toiletries, brushes or pens.